Friday, November 13, 2009

The Douches You Meet in Dungeons: The Gathering Whore


Profession and gathering use in dungeons can always spark controversy if not handled at the beginning of the run, much like loot rules. In the past, the unspoken rule was, you roll for nodes. Pretty simple.

  • Mining/Herb node is in sight.
  • Someone asks, "Is anyone a miner/herbalist?"
  • Yes? No?
  • If yes, the two usually roll for the node. If no, the person who has, it takes it.
  • In most cases, if another node is somewhere else in the dungeon, the 2 miners/herbalists would take turns until the end.

All is fair.

Skinning is a little trickier because usually multiple mobs throughout a dungeon will be able to be skinned and it gets hard taking turns. Also, this could come up with mining and herbs corpses as that happens too. So what I usually do is when something is able to be skinned, I see if anyone goes to skin it, if not, I do. Now finally, to the story:

Heroic Violet Hold. Pickup group. Of course, this late in the expansion, no one needed the loot just wanted a quick run for badges and to kill some time or whatever. The tank of the run is a Paladin and he is really anal about EVERYTHING. We kill a few mobs and he says, "Hey everyone make sure you loot all this stuff so I can skin it. I don't need the mats for anything but I don't ever use my profession unless I am in a dungeon." I am a skinner and a LW, so guess what fuck nut? I need AND use the mats. I don't say this because it doesn't really matter, not worth starting shit over. So I go to skin something and the guy races me to it. I was thinking to myself, "Ok. No problem. I'll just get the next one." Nope. This guy races to every skin. Even when I would be in the middle of skinning something he would click it. So then, still not trying to start anything, I say to myself, "I will just skin the things I loot. This guy can have every skin in the dungeon except when I go to loot something, I'll take the skin right after it."

You can see where this is going... It is my turn to loot something and the douchebag skins it right out from under me. "QQ Moar," you say? Truth is, it bothered me, but only because I knew the guy was a douche and obviously this level of douchebaggery was going to keep going on. However, I don't get to play that often. So I could confront him, call him out, and tell him he is a fucking dick. But, I was enjoying the rest of the dungeon. It is easy, I was top DPS (over 5k on all the boss fights, not e-peen stroking, it is relevant), and I wanted the emblems. So even though his douchy antics were starting to bother me, I let it go.

Then after we kill the second boss, which happened to be that lava dog, he runs and skins it and gets like 10 Borean Leather. It was fucked up he knew I was a skinner and didn't pass on one fucking skin the entire dungeon, so after the boss was over and we were waiting for the next portal to spawn, I said, "Man, you are a skinning whore." Everyone says "lol" and doesn't think much of it. Then the Paladin is like, "fuck you," and kicks me from the group. So as I am waiting for the countdown to be taken out of the dungeon, I was like, "Really? You kick the top dps in the group and would rather 4 man it because you can't share a fucking skin? You are a little bitch." Then some other random asshat says, "bullshit, you aren't top DPS," and links me the dps meter. I think I was like number 2. What did they link? Overall DPS for the entire dungeon. So then I said, "What a fucking noob, I was talking about boss dps, the only fucking dps that matters." The only person close to me in DPS during the bosses was putting out about 4k and I was doing over 5, while the other dps was doing like 2k. The only reason I was low on the overall meter was because I had a few of friends over so I was halfass playing (<--- spoiler: next weeks story) until it got to the boss fights because that is the most fun. So then I get teleported out.

I get up from the computer, literally, laughing out loud. I could have nerd raged, but for what? This group was a handful of douches. I got on WoW to have a good time, and I did. Because for me, fun is unleashing my DPS on a boss and being at the top of a meter most of the time. Not because I feel like it makes me better than anyone under me, but because it proves I know how to play my class and I get to compete with myself always trying to put out 4 higher numbers than the time before. Maybe even a 5 digit number one day. ;)

3 comments:

  1. You're a far greater man than I. Though I wouldn't have used the term "skinning whore," if he had kicked me, I would have cussed the fuck out of him without a doubt. I'm glad you were able to laugh about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be the first to admit I take video games too seriously when I am constantly dying or losing. However, I have to take a different mindset when I am in a PUG. You have to expect people are going to be morons, then if they aren't, you are pleasantly surprised. Getting kicked did suck because I wanted the last couple of emblems, and because those <30 minutes were going to be all I played that day, but I still had my fun (and extra fun laughing at stupid people).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You have to expect people are going to be morons..."

    I guess I'm lucky, then. On my realm, 98% of people in random PUG 5-mans know what they are doing and 98% of my runs go off without a hitch. I guess it helps that I always tank or heal, so one of two vital roles is covered reducing the chance of failure.

    ReplyDelete