Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Douches You Meet in Dungeons: Bringing Your "A Game"

Yesterday I had a crazy, and very tiring, day. I was literally falling asleep/just plain asleep at work. My Boss didn't give me shit for it luckily, but because I was too tired to actually work most of the day, I couldn't post a new blog on time. This one, is a situation that I encountered with my girlfriend when we were in a pug run of Heroic UP. She is excited that I am writing about her, so before I start the story, Hi baby! I love you! (Awww how sweet!! *Blush*)

Bringing Your "A Game"

Heroic UP. Pug. As I said. Me on my Hunter. Of course. My girlfriend on her main. Holy Priest. The stage is set. Writing like this is intense.

My girlfriend and I were just running to have a good time and maybe get some badges or something. Both of us, like many players right now, out gear Heroics to the point where they really become "easy mode." Neither of us have "Best In Slot" gear by far, but out gear Heroics. So she is the parties healer, naturally, and has been playing a healer since level 1 on that Priest. We can also say level 10 since that is when you actually get talents, whatever floats your boat. She is a good healer. She cares about the role, always tries to do better than before, and takes her role seriously. Leveling up from 70 - 80 she healed A LOT of dungeons. A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of dungeons. She was good, everyone told her that, and she made a reputation for herself and made a lot of friends through healing the dungeons that still have stuck around to this day.

Back to present day, she is still a good healer. However, given the fact that we were in a 5 man, she was more laid back than she would be healing a raid. Up until this time, we really hadn't ran any 5 mans in a while and had been running raids every time we logged on. Now that I think about it, I think the reason we were running it was because it was the daily, and there is the chance for the mount. Anyway... She was used to healing raids so when she was geared, and back in a 5 man, she was more laid back. She was playing WoW healing the dungeon, while also chatting with a friend on Myspace or AOL instant messenger. Don't remember. So, because of this, the tank got a little low on health a couple times. He flipped out and was like, "WHERE ARE MY HEALS!!" She apologized and said, "Sorry I let you get low. I was reading something. I AM NOT going to let you die. Calm down." It was the truth. She is more than capable, gear and skill wise, to heal a 5 man. However, the tank kept running his mouth. So she kept letting him get low before she healed him. He was pissed because he felt the need to use cooldowns when his health got low, which is what a tank should do, but even after she assured him she wasn't going to let him die, he kept on being a douche. The tank did stop being a douche close to the end of the dungeon. There was a bit of conflict and then everyone let it go and finished the run. The second after we down the last boss, the douchebag starts going off on her again. Calls her out in party chat saying she is a fucking shitty healer and fucking sucks, worst healer ever, blah blah blah. Then whispers her and talks a little more shit and then ignores her. Another example, like last week, of people that try so hard to annoy you and make you feel like shit, possible even making themselves feel better for being a douchebag to someone else. When really, they are a fucking loser taking the game way too seriously.

So this is the question I want to put out there: Should you be bringing your "A" game to a 5 man (or any content you have complete faith you will completely faceroll)?

My opinion is, if you are playing your role on par or better with the way a lesser person (gear or skill wise) would play that role and be competent, you are doing just fine. However, I guess what I should really say is, play your role to whatever standard you want, and if someone has an opinion about it you don't agree with, who fucking cares? As long as you don't feel at fault, or that you have let the group down in some way, which obviously she hadn't (no one died and we made it through the content just fine), just go about enjoying the game while not letting the douchebags get you down.

3 comments:

  1. Even in heroic UK, I always bring my A-game. If I'm a healer and I need something to do in between healing an over-geared tank, I just throw up Wild Growth whenever it is on its cooldown, since I have far too much Mp5 for heroics, so I never run out of mana. If I'm the tank, I sometimes just pull more enemies than usual, but only if I'm sure the healer can handle it.

    I have to say, though, chatting on anything while playing WoW in a group is downright negligent. It implies that the group isn't worth your full attention, a rude implication indeed. If you do mess up and the tank dies, it'll be an incredibly avoidable mistake. Unless she was a druid healer and had full hots rolling on the tank, there's really no excuse for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree it is "negligent" to not give your full attention to the group. However, I guess knowing your abilities is where I was going with this. Sure, if someone HAD died it would have been completely avoidable, but considering no one had, I thought it was a bit extreme to get that angry over it. I tend not to worry about how a person is doing until they fail at whatever they are doing. For example, I am never going to complain about someones DPS being 2k, unless what we are doing calls for 5k and they are failing at the role. Or I wont call out "underhealing" until it leads to someone dying.

    I respect your opinion though, and that was the purpose, to get opinions on it. :)

    ReplyDelete