Friday, October 16, 2009

Nassira quitting The World (of Warcraft)

A good blogger and fellow hunter has quit the World of Warcraft recently. And just as I make a couple posts saying I think WoW is in a good spot, it will keep getting better, and subscription numbers are still growing... *BAM* A quitter. Here is her post with my thoughts in bold.

Hello, everyone.

It is with mixed emotion that I write this post today, announcing that I will no longer be playing World of Warcraft on a regular basis. - "...on a regular basis?" Are you quitting or not?

There are many reasons behind this final decision. The first of these, and the most important, is that I no longer have fun within the game. - Understandable.

I don’t like the direction WoW is going, and haven’t truly enjoyed myself since before the release of Wrath of the Lich King. - What direction is WoW going?

I’ve been playing this game for many years, and I think I’ve finally burnt out. I no longer enjoy raiding, dailies are a chore, and leveling is mind-numbing for me. - Understandable.

Too many changes have been made which I believe are for the wrong reasons. - What changes?

It has slowly corrupted the game for me, and has leached my enjoyment from it, not to mention the fact that very little has changed in regards to visual aspects or in-game mechanics – two things which are imperative for keeping my interest. - Cataclysm is pretty much having an overhaul of visual aspects (which have gotten better over every expansion) and also possibly in game mechanics (which should be elaborated on).

I feel, at this point, that WoW is a dying game, something Blizzard is simply trying to keep alive long enough to bring all the old players into their latest, greatest, next-gen MMO. - How is WoW a dying game? I think Cataclysm sales numbers will determine that and it is too early to tell if it is "dying." Also, Blizzard puts a lot of time and effort into all their games and the second statement seems like a bitter shot below the belt at Blizzard because you are not happy with the game (for reasons you didn't elaborate on).

This latest-greatest is where they’re putting all the effort now, and it’s become apparent by the lack of attention being payed to the parts of WoW which need that attention the most. - There is some explanation of why you think the WoW developers attention has shifted, but no elaboration on WHAT NEEDS ATTENTION.

This is, of course, my personal opinion, so please take it only for what it is. - Noted.

Secondly, as most of you know, I’ve been attending college again full-time. I simply don’t have the extra time to spend on WoW when I should be improving upon my classwork. As an art major, it’s incredibly difficult to make everything fit into regular time slots, and many of my projects span across days until completion. I simply cannot justify spending over 20 hours a week playing and writing about WoW when I have so many other things to accomplish. - Understandable and a mature evaluation of time and priorities.


I have enjoyed the posts on mmnassira.com and will continue to keep it linked on my blog. I am not a "Blizzard fanboi" but I am a fan and do think they are a good company. I have to disagree with the statements that WoW isn't being paid attention to like it should be. They put a lot of time and effort into WoW as well as their other games. I also know for a fact that they have pulled people from Diablo development to work on WoW, so I don't know why they would not pay attention to it's cash cow to try and work on it's future.

No comments:

Post a Comment